Bad dirt? Surrounded by pavement? Live in a dry area? Want to just do something new and fun?
Grab 2 buckets – you’re going to build your own bucket garden!
Thanks to the 2 Brothers from globalbuckets.org for the easy DIY that literally could change the way food is grown and help with world hunger!! I love what they are about!!
Benefits of the 2-bucket system:
1) 50% to 80% reduction in water usage.
2) 100% reduction in weeds…never pull a weed or use herbicides.
3) Once planted, very little attention is required.
4) Foolproof: People with very little training (like us!) can reap bountiful harvests.
5) All you need are a few square meters of space…even rooftops, industrial wastelands, etc
What do you think? Could you handle the hole drilling?
These guys drew some instructions:
Max & Grant recommend making your own growing medium (dirt in the bucket) and they offer several recipes on globalbuckets.org; along with fertilizer instructions and ideas on watering!
Here’s the recipe I will probably go with:
Recipe #1: Sphagnum Peat
70% Sphagnum Peat
They even explore other methods similar reusing plastic bottles, colanders and even cloth shopping grocery totes!
Plants don’t need much – they will even grow in a bag!!